- Working principle, types and purpose of pumps.
- Working principle, classification, elements and purpose of fans. Necessary parameters for selection and fan control.
- Sedimentation, coagulation and floculation. Main parameters for operation, application and classification. Introduction to mass balance.
- Definition of filtration and basic parameters. Definition of chemical and biological processes on filters. Classification of filtration equipment, basic working principle. Introduction to ultrasonic filtration.
- Operation, forces and processes during centrifugation. Classification and types of centrifuges. Basic working principle.
- Basics of sieving operation, definition of all relevant parameters. Particle size analysis, classification and types of sieving equipment. Types, function and classification of sieves. Laser particle size measuring and analysis.
- Types of mills and milling. Parameters necessary for milling operation.
- Principles of gas purification, classification of equipment, and purification principles. Definition of parameters used for calculations. Working principle of cyclones and electric air filtration.
- Definition and parameters of mixing operation. Application of mixing in food and other industries. Mixer parameters. Mixing of various phases. Working principle and types of mixers.
- Introduction to kneading operation. Parameters for kneading process and equipment. Kneading elements and classification.
- Introduction to operation, application and working principle of evaporation process. Evaporation process parameters, classification and types of evaporators. Mass and energy balance during evaporation process.
- Basic drying parameters, working principle of drying, classification and types of dryers. New technologies in drying, ultrasonic drying.
- High hydrostatic pressure food processing, working principle, classification of equipment. Influence of food material, optimization of process parameters.
- Principle of high and low intensity ultrasonics, application in food and other industries. Basic concepts in acoustics.
- Distillation types, classification of equipment, application in food industry. Distillation parameters. Rectification.
- explain basic working principles and criteria for selection of food and bioprocess industry equipment
- use filtration, centrifugation, milling, mixing, drying, sieving and other equipment
- optimize, adapta or improve unit operation for specific purpose in the food industry
- establish process parameters for processing equipment and calculate relevant parameters for equipment selection
- develop unit operation for any food industry branch
To enrol in this course, the following courses must be completed:
- Principles of Engineering
- Matemathics 1
- Matemathics 2
- Transport Phenomena