The Laboratory for Bioinformatics operates as part of the Department for Biochemical Engineering, at the Faculty of Food Technology and Biotechnology, University of Zagreb. It was founded in 2002 when Prof. Daslav Hranueli transferred to the Faculty, after working for many years in the development institute of Pliva d.d. Thus, the main area of his long-term research, genetics of gram + bacteria (mainly Streptomyces and Bacillus species), the organization of their genome and the genetics of enzymes and the synthesis of antibiotics of industrial importance became the backbone of the activities of the Laboratory. Initially most of work covered “in silico” discovery and design of novel chemical structures, resulting in the ClustScan program package. With time the focus of the research had diversified, so that today, besides genomics, the Laboratory is involved in the application of bioinformatics in proteomics based on mass spectrometry, nutrigenomics, but also design of and research in a so-called “Wet Lab”. Nowadays active research areas are in the fields of microbial ecology and bioprospecting. The application of paradigms such as “deep learning” and “big data” to biological problems is the direction in which the FFTB’s Laboratory for Bioinformatics is going while at the same time not neglecting its basic task, which is the application in industry, whether nutritional, pharmaceutical or chemical.
- BioProCro - center of excellence for Marine Bioprospecting (2017.-) (KK.01.1.1.01.0002)
- Exploring gut microbiome equilibrium – MicroEquilibrium (2017.-2021.) (br. IP-2016-06-3509)
- Personalized probiotic preparations (2016.-2017.) (HAMAG-BICRO: PoC6_01_124)
- Bilateral project Croatia-Germany: "Genome biology of the bacterial genus Streptomyces" (2015.-2016.)
- Research project, CFCA (IPA IIIc No. 113): “RapidCell”, 2013-2015 (IRB)
- Oil pollution risks to the North Adriatic area (2012.-2014.) (HRZZ, br. 09/5)
- AmyloEnzymes Captured by Targeted Metagenomics (AMYLOMICS) (2011.-2014.) FP7 No: 265992; as SemGen Ltd.
- Development of prototype system for comparison and annotation of de novo sequenced microbial genomes (2010.-2011.) (HAMAG-BICRO: PoC_01_07_U-1)
|Name and surname
|| Full Professor